Thursday, April 12, 2007

And Then He Kissed Her - Laura Lee Guhrke

Wow, what can I say? I adored this book. This is my first book by this author but it definitely won't be the last. According to Ms Guhrke's website, this book marks the start of the Girl Batchelors series and I cannot wait for the next book!

Quick Summary: First of all, while the cover might make it seem like it's set earlier, it's actually set in the late nineteenth century. (Wait, they did wear those dresses in the late 19th century so ignore that comment. It's such a pretty cover regardless, don't you think?)

The heroine, Emma, is a woman on her own - a girl batchelor. She makes her living by working as secretary to Viscount Marlowe (Harry), a publisher. But she's also the author of etiquette books and keeps submitting them to Harry in the hope of publication. Then she finds out he's been rejecting them without ever reading them! Pushed too far, Emma acts supremely out of her sensible character and quits. And the fireworks begin.

I loved both Emma and Harry. Emma, while sensible, is not without heart and soul, a beautifully layered character. Every one of her actions and decisions made sense to me. She acted thoroughly in character all the way through the book, and not only that, she acted as a smart woman of her time would act. Any decision she made was with full appreciation of the consequences.

As for Harry - he is the epitome of the dissolute playboy - except that he is a shrewd businessman, too. He's as layered as Emma. He loves his family, has reasons for why he abhors matrimony and is utterly charming to boot, impossible not to like.

Plotwise, And Then He Kissed Her is not a predictable book - I was enjoyably surprised every step. Harry and Emma's relationship happens slowly and you can see them falling in love page after page. By the end, I was absolutely convinced these two would make it. I closed the book with a big smile on my face. Lovely, lovely book!

2 comments :

meljean brook said...

I really loved this one, too.

Kat said...

I've been wanting to read this book for aaaages but it was always out of stock when I asked. I think I shall have to be a little more persistent...